.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Party of Wales legislate for England

Plaid Cymru, the self-styled 'Party of Wales' published their housing policies yesterday. Most of them seemed possible, though they were uncosted and many were in need of refinement. However, the suggestion that caused me to stop in my tracks was the one on home-ownership. Plaid is proposing to abolish the 50% discount on Council tax enjoyed by owners of second homes.

Now this seems all fair and reasonable until one realises that in Wales Councils already have the discretion to charge the full Council Tax on second homes. It is only in England that this discretion does not exist. So effectively Plaid Cymru, the Party of Wales are legislating for England. It is a new definition of Welsh nationalism I know, but if it makes them happy then who I am I to argue?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?