.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Trophy

The one Assembly Member who always comments to me when I include him in a blog entry is Carl Sargeant, the Labour member for Alyn and Deeside. Carl is a very pleasant person who likes to effect a larger-than-life image. He seems to consider a mention here as a form of trophy. Yesterday, I accused him of going out of his way to be quoted, so frequent were the bloggable comments that he came out with in the chamber.

First off was the Business Statement:

Carl Sargeant: You will not get doom and gloom from me, Business Minister, but a little light relief. Could you find time to debate the provision of additional funding for sporting activities and facilities in Wales? Colin Jackson opened a new facility in Deeside College last week, which provides a wonderful opportunity for the constituents of north and north-west Wales. Could you also find time for us to debate free swimming and free bus passes along with everything else that is being provided for free by the Labour Welsh Assembly Government?

Carl then moved on from the free-for-all that is the Welsh Assembly Government to deliver some 'killer-lines' on free school breakfasts. Firstly in response to Mark Isherwood:

Although I thank my friend, the Labour Member for Alyn and Deeside, for his kind offer of a free breakfast this morning, he is using the price of a piece of toast to cover his modesty. [Laughter.] He has much to be modest about, because it is the primary school children and our mutual constituents in Alyn and Deeside and Delyn who receive the lowest funding in England and Wales.

Carl Sargeant: I thank the regional Member for north Wales for giving way. As for covering my modesty, he may have meant a bloomer, not a piece of toast.

And then to Nick Bourne:

Carl Sargeant, who is shaking is head, was on hand to demonstrate the value of a free breakfast in the Assembly restaurant today, we were told, at 11 a.m.. I have news for you, Carl—the restaurant stops serving breakfast at 10.30 a.m. Furthermore, I do not know when your flying start happens, Carl, but my staff and all my Assembly Members were at work far earlier than 11 a.m., therefore I am not surprised that you changed your mind about it.

Carl Sargeant: I was here at 7.30 a.m. and did not see you about. I thought that I would extend my breakfast period to 11.15 a.m. to open it up for all your Members. Not one of you showed up for a nutritional breakfast in the restaurant this morning. I hope that when you go home tonight Nick, and lay your head on the pillow, you will wake up to find the news headlines have changed from ‘Maggie Thatcher the milk snatcher’ to ‘Nick Bourne and the cereal killers’.

If he is not careful he will start to rival Lembit Opik for the number of mentions here.

Update: It seems Carl has pulled off a double. He is also quoted by Leighton Andrews.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?