.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Changing the system

Things have suddenly got very interesting in the Welsh Assembly. Tomorrow I am bringing forward private member's legislation which, if passed would give us the power to change the way we elect local Councillors.

My favoured system is the single transferable vote method of election but that is a debate for another time. Tomorrow I am just seeking to get the powers for a future measure on this issue. I had a meeting with the Electoral Reform Society yesterday to discuss tactics and we are lobbying members in ernest.

So far it is likely that the Conservative Group will abstain on block. Plaid Cymru have said they will vote for the Legislative Competence Order whilst I have now discovered that Labour are likely to have a free vote. This leaves me with a real opportunity to overcome the first hurdle by getting approval for the LCO to proceed.

We are very hopeful though the voting figures do look quite tight.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?